Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pepper's Story, Part I

The Christmas Chihuahua

     In December 2009,  I decided to up my search for a new chihuahua through rescue organizations.  Searching high and low, mostly low since chihuahuas are RATHER short, I contacted the SF Chihuahua Meet-up, Pets Unlimited on Fillmore and the SF  Animal Care and Control and found many darling chis there, but none seemed to be a perfect match for me and, more importantly, Zia. (see Zia above)

     I needed a dog who would get along with Zia, be suited for living in a 5th floor apartment in San Francisco's Trendyloin, happy to meet people and comfortable riding public transportation.  Also the new dog would be calm and non-barking variety of chihuahua.  A CONGENIAL CHIHUAHUA if you will.

     Long-hair chihuahuas, like Zia, are supposed to be quieter and more 'snuggly' than the usual short-hair (or smooth coat) variety.  But I always believe in look at individuals not the stereotype. Case in point, we met a darling long-hair chihuahua who was so traumatized from her history that she was even biting the loving foster hands that fed her.  Not the congenial chihuahua that we required despite her luxurious long hair.

     Then I found a craigslist.org (God bless Craig Newmark) advertising "The Perfect Small Dog." Listed by one of the Wonder Dog volunteers, the ad described Chickie (just ONE of Pepper's former aliases) as  "...social and LOVES to spend time with her foster mom weather it be walking through the park or cuddled up under the covers, she's a happy girl." Wonder Dog Rescue
     E-mails blazed and we made arrangements to meet at a Wonder Dog event at a great pet store on Fillmore in the Lower Haight neighborhood called Animal House (yelp review).
     From there, I spent over an hour with the dog who would later be named Pepper and made the decision.  I had help not only from Zia, my Chihuahua Buddha and from Zia’s “Auntie”  who knows a great dog when she sees it.

     Pepper's transformation from rescue to a Trendyloin Trickster dog continues.  Stay tuned for more.








Left:  Pepper and I wait for the 22 Fillmore Bus just after her adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment